Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Orientation

The long anticipated orientation day finally came today, but first I took Keri Lynn to her first student-led high school Bible study at our church. Starting next week, they'll meet every Tuesday morning at 6:45 (ugh!) Even though it's early, it's the only time that high school kids can get together with their busy schedules.

Then, when she got back, the rounds of orientation began. First, I took Kathleen to her middle school where we met her homeroom teacher and her team of teachers. All of them seemed very nice. Kathleen is still very nervous, though, about her first day of school. She wants to have all of her ducks in a row. She's already planning to get another honor's plaque for perfect attendance, no behavior forms, and all A's! That's my little perfectionist!

Then, because I decided I had enough time after all, I went over with Kathleen to Keva's middle school, where I talked for a bit with her new teacher. She has a male teacher this time and he seems like he'll be a good teacher. Keva will still have her favorite TA from last year, which I hope will help her with the adjustment.

Then, with Kathleen still in tow, I raced off to the elementary school to meet up with Keith who brought a very excited Kylie, Kade and Konner. We did a kid swap, and I went in with the brand new 4th, 2nd and 1st graders to meet their new teachers, canvass their new classrooms and see if any of their friends were in their classes with them. It looks like it will be a good year.

I was especially tickled when we met with Kade's teacher from last year. I had been so concerned that she would be way too strict and mean for him, but apparently all went very well. Kade was just so sad when the school year ended and so pleased to be coming back. When he talked to his old teacher, she told him that he had to come back once a week this year to "prepare the tiles" for her class spelling words. And Kade grinned and laughed and acted like her happy goofy slave. It was hilarious.

I returned the elementary kids home and I had a little bit of time to relax and have some lunch, before taking off with Keri Lynn and Kristofer to the high school. We went from building to building, meeting new teachers, stopping and talking to old teachers and schmoozing with whoever we knew. I got to give out my name and number to several teachers for any substitute work.

We had a few more odds and ends to buy for school, so we headed off to Big Lots, which surprisingly still had a good supply left. Usually they are wiped out.

Then, it was home to make dinner and fill out endless paperwork for two of the kids -- just two -- It took HOURS! Good grief! I still have to fill out paperwork for FIVE more kids!

All the kids were in bed by 9:00! That is amazing, right there. Kylie got up at about 9:30 to say that she couldn't sleep, but I sent her back to bed with the wise words, "Just lay down, close your eyes and think of boring things." It will probably take us all a few weeks to get used to the new school schedule. Whoo-hoo!

No comments: