Thursday, October 11, 2007

Job update

So here's the scoop so far on the job hunt.

I dropped off my three personal reference forms. At least two of them were supposed to be for bosses or supervisors from the last ten years, but since I haven't worked (for pay!) for the last 16 years, then I'm guessing that a husband doesn't count as a reference. So I asked Keva's teacher to write up something for me, and she was sweetly obliging. I also asked my senior pastor, who not only filled it out this afternoon when I dropped it off but put it right in the mail! Then, I dropped off a form with Jerry, my adult class Sunday School teacher, who just happens to be assistant superintendent for our county's public schools. He not only agreed to fill out the reference, but took me across the street to Human Resources to introduce me to the people who do the hiring.

I dropped off my application with them, and, should all the references come back in a timely manner, and the criminal background check come back clean, I may be able to go to the substitute teacher four-hour training workshop. Four hours and you're a substitute! No wonder subs are the way they are! Good grief!

THEN, if I make the October workshop, I have to wait for the approval at the next school board meeting. That's not for another month. Jerry told me they just met last night. If I don't have all that I need by the October workshop, then I have to wait until the end of November for the next workshop. Eek!

Meanwhile, I met a lady yesterday (when Jerry was taking me around) who places employees in specialty jobs, like helping a handicapped kid or being an aid for a special ed class. She said that she didn't have anything at the moment, but that didn't mean that something might not turn up tomorrow. I'm also applying for two brand new fresh-off-the-press school office positions, a clerk and a registrar. I'll turn those applications in tomorrow.

I also got the details for teacher certifcation. Georgia has a special program in which a person with a BA can be certified. I would need to take two tests during the course of this school year. One is a skill-level test to discern strengths and weaknesses and educational level. The other is a teacher methodology test. If I pass both of those and then present myself to the school board, then there's a good chance that I could actually start teaching for the next school year. It's a year-long training program, but I would actually have my own class. The types of classes that I can teach depend on my major. Since I majored in psychology, I could teach middle school social studies, middle school or high school special ed, and high school social studies, history, civics or geography. I would be supervised throughout the year and at the end of the year, I'd be certified. How about that!

The thing that's killing me is that it may take a lot longer than I had hoped to start working as a sub. I was really hoping I'd be able to start within the next week, but that is not going to happen. Eek! So the whole money thing is really stressing me out.

So, Lord, You know our family's needs. You are the great Provider and Protector. You are Lord of all. I thank You for Your hand upon our family. Help me to trust You more, to let the anxieties of the day melt away. You are my comforting shelter for me in this time of difficulty.
Psalm 17:6-8

I have called upon You, for you will answer me, O God;
Incline Your ear to me, hear my speech.
Wondrously show Your lovingkindness,
O Savior of those who take refuge at Your right hand
From those who rise up against them.
Keep me as the apple of the eye;
Hide me in the shadow of Your wings.

No comments: