Monday, March 12, 2007

Daylight Savings Time

This view looks down a pretty pathway behind our row of houses. Our back property line follows pretty much along this row. I'll post a picture a few months from now with the trees clothed in their spring selection.
Keith prepares to move the rope up a tree for a tire swing. Some of the neighbor kids came to help. Pictured from left to right: Keith, Kristofer, Kathleen, Kade, Kylie, Mac, Dominic, and Konner.

Here's Keith dangling from the end of a 20 foot ladder. I quickly took a picture and then busied myself with work inside the house until he was back down again. It makes me nervous to see him up there. Kristofer is helping steady the bottom of the ladder.



Have I expressed to you all lately how very much I detest Daylight Savings! I spent most of last night dreaming about waking up too late to get Keva on the bus. Then, when the alarm went off in what felt like the dead of night, I was exhausted. I got Keva dressed and as I went to open her door and take her to the family room, she collapsed right back into her bed. She doesn't like Daylight Savings Time either. Boo to DST! And BOO to Congress for deciding to move it up three weeks. A pox on them!

Nevertheless, spring is in the air here in Georgia. The trees are starting to bloom. Daffodils are sprouting up in cheerful little groups. Temperatures are in the 60s and 70s. And with my throat already raw from allergies, I've been popping a combination of antihistamine and Tylenol in an effort to feel normal and enjoy the beauty.

On Saturday, Keith tried to put a tire swing up in our trees in the backyard. I took some pictures of him dangling off the 20 foot ladder, which incidentally, didn't even come halfway up the tree at the point that he wanted to tie the rope. As it turns out, the rope wasn't as strong as he'd thought, so the idea was abandoned until 1) he can find a rope strong enough and 2) he can find another block of time to try to kill himself.

This morning, we joined some neighbors in welcoming home a young man fresh from Iraq. He's here for just a few short weeks and then returns for another six month stint. He wore his fatigues. My boys asked questions about the kind of gun he carried. We were all suitably impressed, but mostly thankful, for the gift of protection he gives us through his military service. He's engaged and expects to be married upon his arrival home in October. God bless you, Joe!

I looked up at him, as I shook his hand, and thought about how short of a time it will be, God willing, when I look up at my own boys. Kristofer is shooting up like a weed right now. He's been stronger than me for several years already, and my brave bug killer. What kind of men will my boys be? It wasn't too long ago that I would have laughed out loud at the thought of any of them being men! It couldn't possibly be so. I guess my own age is catching up on me!

Speaking of AGE, I'd like to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Alice! (How's that for a segue, Alice?) However, I'd like to say that my mother-in-law is one of the youngest people I know! Never have I known someone so happy to join me in a shopping expedition! Nor anyone else who could model shoes in quite the way that Alice can! She's got the cutest dainty feet ever! And she looks up to three wonderful sons as I hope to look up to mine someday. What a thrill that must be to see them out in the world, each loving the Lord and their wives as they should. Happy birthday, Alice!

No comments: