Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Composing Memories

First thing in the morning, I get dressed, then I take myself into the living room spend about 15 minutes with God reading His word and praying. I also enjoy listening to the rustling of my family as they wake up. It is a precious time.

Yet it is with some dismay that I've had to pull out reading glasses lately. My eyes have really taken a spiral. It's a constant reminder that life and health should never be taken for granted.

This morning, Konner was the first to come downstairs. His hair was standing up all over the place. He said to me, "Mom, they should make a school where you don't have to wake up in the dark."

Amen, Konner. You are definitely my son.



When I'm done with my quiet time, I get Keva ready and then sign and go over last minute homework, listen to excuses for why there is last minute homework, have Konner change out of whatever he thought was really okay to wear to school, and start a load of laundry. The younger kids run out the door first and then the high schoolers come down, as they both ride with a neighbor who works at the high school. They do not miss the bus at all.

I am VERY excited about Shutterfly. I discovered it yesterday. It is a online photo service. And even more importantly, it's FREE. You just upload as many of your digital pictures as you want and create as many photo albums as you want. The catch is that if you want a real live photo album in your hot little hands, then you order it through Shutterfly and pay for whatever it costs. But that is something I'm willing to pay for. When I made my albums using Creative Memories, it cost me an arm and a leg.

While I uploaded pictures onto my brand new Shutterfly account, I got to thinking about offering my services to whoever wants a photo album made, particularly people who have old pictures and slides -- I can get those scanned digitally and use Shutterfly to make albums. I'm calling it Composing Memories. So I've put an ad into a local online classifieds section and I put up a blog for my business, and we'll see how it goes! I'm kind of excited about it, particularly if I get that job at Target Portrait Studios.

And while I was at it, I put up Adsense onto my blog to make a little extra money. This is my first venture into blog ads. I'm going commercial. : )

Here's Konner seeing if it is worth eating at the cafeteria today or if he should pack their lunch. All three of the little kids do this every day. I never lift a finger to make lunches for them. They like to do it themselves.

2 comments:

Julia in CA said...

I haven't opened a Shutterfly account, but I have a Kodakgallery.com account, and it's pretty similar. Last year I checked the prices of different ways of putting digital photos into albums and decided that printing out an $80, 50+ page photo book from Kodakgallery was actually CHEAPER than putting the same thing together using Creative Memories. And quicker. And easier, because I didn't have to schlep my supplies to someone's house for a workshop (not to mention pay for the workshop).

So I put it together, ordered it, paid my money and waited with bated breath.... it turned out GREAT! We are so happy with it. It looks so professional. It was definitely worth the money, considering I would have paid more to cut and paste it all together by hand.

The only downside is that you are limited to the templates they give you, but that actually prevented me from anguishing too much over whether I had the perfect layout for each page.

The other downside is that you are limited to space for text and can't put stickers and other fun stuff on the pages... but then you can always write, draw and sticker on the pages after the book is printed!

So go ahead, put together a book and order it!

Jackie said...

Ooooo, thanks, Julia for the encouraging words! Love that! I'm spending most of the time right now UPLOADING pictures to Shutterfly. This is taking FOREVER! Argh! But it's going to be fun to put the albums together. What I also am looking forward to, is using the same picture in a family album and in a kid album, the goal being to have memories preserved in my hot little hands as well as memories to send off with each of my kids.