Friday, April 13, 2007

Where's my parade?

Usually I don't mind going to the doctor. In fact, when the kids were younger, it was a treat to go to the doctor. In the last few years, though, it started to become an ordeal. I'd feel guilty about my weight and hated that the doctor would feel compelled to remind me about how important it is to lose weight.

THIS time, though, I was actually anxious to see the doctor. Just a regular check-up for my blood pressure, but I'd get to hear how PROUD he was of me for losing weight. Imagine my disappointment to find out that my regular doctor was out, and I'd be seeing the doctor on call. I thought, well surely the on-call doctor would be impressed, too.

Nope.

I had to even say something, "Yes, everything's fine. And I lost some weight, too!"

This is what he actually said, with chart already handed off to the discharge nurse, "Oh, good. Just make an appointment in six months to see your regular doctor."

Just like that. And gone before I had blinked. Where were my roses? My parade? My gift certificate to El Charro's?

Oh, well.

I felt a lot better when I got home and pulled into the driveway. There was Keith riding his beloved John Deere, with the three little kids hanging on for dear life in the trailer. It was the cutest thing I'd seen in a long time.

Keri Lynn and Kristofer are going to a church weekend event tonight. This is excellent timing, because Kathleen has been enjoying her birthday today and will be Queen Bee for the evening. Our family tradition is for the birthday person to be Queen for the Day on their actual birthday. No chores for the entire day. Differential treatment. A special trip out with Daddy. In other words, for Kathleen it's a chance to be the diva she was born to be.

As I type this, everyone but me, Keri Lynn and Keva are at Mac's pool. When they built their pool over the winter, we KNEW that Mac's family would be our "bestest" friends! Keith went over with his swim trunks and his white legs to scare everyone off. And now I'm about to go on my walk . . .

Back from my walk that turned into a social event. Met a new neighbor down the road, stopped by to see one of our newest neighbors (3-week-old precious little boy), and met another neighbor who is five months pregnant.

Keith is bringing home pizza for dinner tonight which will be a big treat for us all. There is not a crumb of food left over in this house. I need to get groceries tomorrow. Konner polished off the rest of the macaroni and cheese. And everyone else ate up the extra two dozen pancakes that I'd made this morning. And Keva dumped out nearly a half box of cornflakes.

No comments: