Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Job Search

I'm going to keep this short as I'm in the middle of The Job Search.

I'm pretty sure I'll get a job with the couple from church. They own a lending group right here in our city. I imagine the pay won't be great at first, but it's a great opportunity to get my foot in the door to learn the business. However, I won't know about this particular job until Monday, and in the meantime, I'm still looking at other options.

1) Hospital. There are several openings at our local hospital that fit within my time frame and would probably pay well and also offer opportunities for advancement.

2) I re-applied at the same temp agencies I'd applied at several months ago, but this time with the more realistic day-shift availability. Neither agency sounded too promising, though. So, we'll see. At least my name's back on the list again.

3) I check the employment ads daily. You gotta love technology. I don't even need to get the paper. All I have to do is go on line to see what is available.

On the home front, the kids seem to be adjusting to school pretty well. I was especially worried about Kade, because his teacher didn't seem that nice, but he says he's doing okay. He complained about doing his homework yesterday because he wanted to go out and play so badly, but it only took maybe 45 minutes to get it all done. Each night he lays out his clothes for the next day without even being told. And he's out the door the next morning for that all-important bus ride!

Once everyone's home, though, it is BUSY. Pencils are being sharpened, backpacks are getting slapped onto the table, snacks are being consumed in alarming quantity.

I try to get all of the elementary kids to finish their homework before Kathleen and Keva come home, so I can give all of my attention to Kathleen. Keva gets to sit at the TV and watch Cyber Chase while Kody runs around with his tennis ball in his mouth begging for someone to play with him. The older kids, thankfully, don't need too much of my help anymore. Kristofer doesn't have a lot of homework anyway, much to the consternation of Keri Lynn and Kathleen. However, that is going to change next semester. He's got a HUGE load. I don't think he's going to be very happy.

11 comments:

Pen of Jen said...

I am so impressed with how strong you are. I know that God will direct you to the right job. And I totally understand the situation you are in and I am so pleased to hear that the kids are doing so well.

I am so in awe with what a great job you are doing Jackie!!!

How is the dog doing without the lunch scraps?? Hope you throw him a few perks, as he is even loosing licking faces after lunch is now over...!!!!!:)

Jackie said...

Thanks so much, Jennifer.

Poor Kody is about as pathetic as can be without the lunch crowd. I just am not all that fun of a person for him. This morning he was dumping his ball in the laundry basket in hopes of enticing me to play.

Qtpies7 said...

I bet you will enjoy working. Its not the best situation, but if you have to do it, you may as well enjoy it!
Tomorrow and Monday I am temping at church for the secretary. That is better money for me. And I love it! But have to pay a sitter, so the babysitting is a better option for me in the long run.
Thankfully my Cody is not a dog and he is not schooling yet, so he can babysit for me while I work and I don't have to pay too much.
Praying for you!

Jackie said...

QP: I bet your Cody doesn't chew up everything in sight either! One of the HUGE advantages of having a large family is that everyone can pull together to help. : )

Qtpies7 said...

Thank you for excusing me from WW! I bet you are the only one reading who will totally get the 18 loads! Those washers are not a full load size. They just are not!

Jackie said...

QP - Oh, YES I definitely identify! Especially right now with the washing machine up and running again!

TO BECOME said...

Jackie, I am praying that things go very smoothly for you and your wonderful family. I know how very hard this must be for you and I pray that God blesses you in ways that only He can. The car was certainly one of those blessings. May God watch over you all as you go into this new phase of your lives. God bless. connie from Texas

Suburban Correspondent said...

Hey, you have no e-mail contact info; so I'm replying to your comment on my blog here. I love crochet, also. I have this book (from the library) called Hooked Bags - I'm working on a hobo bag from it, with Lily's Sugar and Cream cotton yarn.

Jackie said...

Thank you so much, Connie. You are such an encourager!

suburban corr. -- I love working with the Sugar and Cream yarn. It's so soft.

Do post pictures of your projects. I'd love to see them! I have something posted somewhere in the May archives. A baby afghan and a little cap I made to match, on the fly, without the directions. Sometimes it backfires, but this time, it didn't.

Qtpies7 said...

How's the job search going? It is rough getting used to work! It was fun at first, but now its getting a bit tough to get up in the morning. Of course that could be because of Sam's unwillingness to sleep at night.

I have a great book give-away on my blog right now. Its about journaling for our kids. I didn't think I'd have time to journal, but as Tracey pointed out, I find time to blog, lol. She got me there! My blog is kind of my journal for the kids, too, they stop in to read it often.

Jackie said...

QT: I used to feel terrible about not being able to scrapbook like I used to, but then I realized that bogs are The New Scrapbook AND Journal. It's so versatile. People don't have to come to your house to look at it. It's a great way to keep the memories. So keep up the good work, QT!