Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Girlfriends

A couple of weeks ago, Joy, my small group leader asked me to join her for lunch after Bible study. I was thrilled. A first date with a girlfriend here in Georgia.

I'm inclined to be a loner. When I get an opportunity to get some time to myself, my first choice is to go off somewhere with a favorite book and spend some quiet time alone. So, I don't naturally plan to get together with other ladies. And I SHOULD! I need friends, but I rely too much on my faithful long-distance friends, and neglect possible friendships here.

So, Joy opened the door for me and we had lunch together today. What a treat. We talked and got to know each other more. I've always appreciated her for being a woman who seeks after God and I'm thrilled to get to know someone who encourages me to do the same. We went to a restaurant right off the town square. We both had chicken fried steak, green beans and fried green tomatoes. That was my first time trying fried green tomatoes -- they were DELICIOUS! I was just wondering, Mom, Grandma, do we have ANY Southern blood in our family because it sure did taste homey.

Anyway, it got me to thinking that now I can make the effort to initiate dates with girlfriends. It can be done! It's fun! And it's important. I'll report on my progress. : )

Now, I've got to get to work on my Bible study for tonight. Being sick has put a real damper on getting ANYTHING done around here. I'm not sure what the boys are going to wear to go to church tonight because I'm so behind on laundry.

No comments: