Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Return of the Big Three

I've been a little off all week. The Big Three (Keri Lynn, Kristofer and Kathleen) have been off to California since Sunday, and the rest of us chickens have been basically sitting around "taking it easy." I've been off in my own little world, reading and/or watching TV while the little kids raise havoc.

At first, things were going pretty well. I thought, "Wow, isn't it sweet just to have the little kids. They're playing together SO NICELY! Ahhh, they want to sleep in the same bedroom tonight because they miss the big kids. Isn't that precious!"

I go off to my room to do some work on the computer . . .

I return to (I'm not making ANY of this stuff up!) Kody chewing on yet another discarded used diaper from the trash, Kylie having broken one of the lights in the hanging light fixture by throwing a ball, Kade STANDING on the mantle, Konner hanging off the TV stand, the TV up to deafening volume . . .

All I needed were a few monkeys screeching and hanging from the aforementioned light fixture.

Hmp!

Needless to say, I've pretty much abandoned the computer for the rest of the week except for when the kids have been asleep and the dog safely locked in his crate.

I'm gathering up Kylie, Kade and Konner to take them the airport to pick up the Big Three in 26 minutes. I'm not counting down. Really, I'm not.

While we're near the airport, I'm to deliver a belt to Keith's work. He apparently is going to get some co-workers back in order? Actually, he just forgot to pack it with his clothes for his second job.

Then, hopefully, the kids will be able to get off the plane and meet me in baggage claim without me having to take the rest of the crew off to the gate to meet them there. Keri Lynn has my cell phone number in case there's any trouble. Thank God for cell phones.

Then, we'll probably swing by Taco Bell, as is tradition after a flight, to feed the starving minions and, God willing, be back in time to get Keva from the bus.

That is probably the ONE thing I didn't miss about having the Big Three gone. I didn't have to feed the equivalent of a small country. In fact, cooking was a breeze this week. I made macaroni and cheese and nobody complained. Last night, we had pork and beans . . . .mmmmmm. But tonight, it will be back to serious food. No mamby-pandying around. MEAT. Rice AND potatoes. And a few veggies to make the health-nuts feel better about themselves.

2 comments:

Oz said...

ON the mantle.

I love it.

Just amazing.

Jackie said...

Yep. ON the mantle. Sigh.