Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The "IT" Factor

Here is a picture of my kitchen counter next to the sink, and all of the clean dishes that still need to be put away. (See Item # 5 below.)


My cold isn't much better today. After getting dressed, getting Keva on the bus and eating a nice breakfast, I plopped myself down on the couch in the family room and watched mind numbing TV until about 10:00 AM. That's when I suddenly remembered about smuggled white chocolate macadamia nut cookies in the refrigerator in the garage. I literally jumped up, then non-chalantly meandered out of the family room into the garage and quickly back into my room to eat two of the yummiest cookies on the face of the planet. All washed down with some cherry cola. Yup.

And I'm wondering why I don't lose weight or get over this yucky cold.

I'm also of the mindset today that if I ignore IT, whatever IT is, it will go away. Here's a list of IT:

1) The poop accident in the dining room. (I did say to someone that Kody's been AWFULLY good these days about not doing his doody in the house.) Sigh. Kathleen took the poop away, but I still have to clean up the residue with the steam cleaner.

2) Kids' school. School? What school?!

3) Bills.

4) Associated with bills -- filing. I had a horrible time finding paperwork for taxes this year.

5) The washed pots, pans and plastics that sit on the counter waiting to be put away.

6) My weight.

7) And the usual laundry and dishes.

I just took a little turn around the house, and guess what! All of the above items . . . still there!
Actually, I'm just preparing for a good TV night tonight. There's American Idol, of course -- my foremost guilty pleasure. And then, following AI, House. I love that show. I was shocked to hear Hough Laurie, the guy who plays House, accept an award last week and talk in his normal British accent. The guy does the show in an accent not his own. Amazing.

So, I'll sit tonight, hopefully with some of my list above crossed off, and (if I don't feel exhausted from the cold) I may pull out a crochet project.

On Keith's job -- I was feeling the stress of knowing that we wouldn't be getting a regular pay-check coming in starting next week, when Keith came home from work last night. It was simply terrific to have him home for dinner. We had make-your-own-tacos (a house favorite). The tacos were completely cleaned out. I started off with one, having gobbled up "a few" of the aforementioned cookies on the way home from the grocery store) and when I came back for just one more, every ingredient had been nearly inhaled by the rest of the family.

Then, Keith mentioned to me, lightheartedly, "You know, someone at work was saying that I should just do overtime now. I could work until about 10:00 or 11:00 in the evening and make even more than what I was making at my other job."

I simply stared at him for a moment. This was, of course, my idea way back when. When we were trying to make ends meet before he took the second job. But, at the time, working so many hours at Delta seemed so infeasible, so LONG, so BORING! But, now, on the other side of six months at a truck dock working like a dog and getting four to five hours of sleep a night, it doesn't seem so bad!

"Well, okay, then," I said, after a moment of blank shock.

One of our worries before about doing overtime for Delta was the lack of overtime hours. Apparently, this isn't the case currently. Another huge advantage to working at Delta for overtime pay is that he'll be getting paid OVERTIME. Also, lately, he's been working in a different building problem-solving issues for Delta's on-line services. So, when he works overtime, he'll be working at the phones in a different area. It won't be the same old thing for hours and hours on end.

I'm thankful beyond words for this current development. It will be hard to have him away in the evenings again, but he'll be getting home earlier and he won't have to do the tough physical labor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen Hugh Laurie in Jeeves & Wooster? We have the series on DVD. It's hysterical. He plays a completely different character than the one he plays on House--a clueless, happy-go-lucky aristocrat. With his British accent.

Jackie said...

Huh. I'll have to check that out. He really is an incredible actor.