Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Coming up for air

Coming up for air . . . . We're still sick, me in particular, but getting better.

Kylie and Konner both, with the help of antibiotics, are doing much better. We don't all sound like a chorus of coughing. I sound like a dying whale, but don't feel horrible, at least.

Mom, Rich and Lola and Gabriel were here from Saturday night through this morning. I took them this morning to pick up a rental car for their continuing vacation up through Tennessee to visit friends there, a stop to see Beth in Illinois (right before she makes her way back to California) and then to see Rich's family in Wisconsin. I also took Keri Lynn to the airport this morning for her regular ortho visit in California. Then, I came home to settle everyone in before going to Women's Bible Study.

I'm TIRED!

But, alas, there is no rest for the weary. We did some clean-up, I've done a few loads of laundry, caught up with dishes and got a jump on some bill paying. (I LOATH doing the bills.)
The visit with my family went well. We got to take them to church on Sunday. The weather started out a little crisp, but by Monday and Tuesday it had warmed up very nicely. Even the trees cooperated with their splendor of color. Connie's kids had a great time. They both screeched at the dog for the first few days, but by yesterday, they decided he was all right, which was good because Kody was starting to get nervous!

Mom and Rich bought us five fruit trees and Rich planted them for us in the backyard. I thought that was a very thoughtful housewarming present! Mom has visions of canned fruits and warm apple pies.

Lola talked up a storm. She especially enjoyed playing in the "yarden." Gabriel hung out with Kade and Konner and got plenty dirty himself. He and Kade were missing at one point and I found them across the street in Mac's backyard playing in their sandbox. We also took them to our favorite park. Rich watched the kids while Mom and I stayed in a warm car with a sleeping Gabriel and talked.

We didn't end up going anywhere special in particular, but instead found it very relaxing to just hang out at home and let the kids play together. Mom kept commenting about how kid-friendly our house is. I figure, if anything, our house is as kid-friendly as you can get!

On Sunday, I cooked a Thanksgiving dinner for us to celebrate with family. Mom made her famous rolls and the turkey came out REALLY good! The next few day, we got treated to several meals out -- Taco Bell, El Charro, and Shanes Rib Shack. I also got to cook some of my "specialties" -- "Make your Own Tacos", french toast, homemade refried beans, and Granddaddy's Pizzas. We ate well.

I have to say that I'd forgotten how busy and messy and loud a four-year-old and a two-year-old can be. Konner is nearing his SIXTH birthday. My baby!!! My own kids do so much for themselves now, but I remember those days when it was all I could do to just make it to bed time! So to Connie, I repeat (as I've said so many times before), "Hang in there! They really do get older! Don't miss out on the sweetness of this busy, messy, loud season of life!"
It's been raining all day today. We're supposed to have severe thunderstorms tonight with the possibility of tornadoes. So, we'll have to keep the weather channel on tonight. I was hoping that perhaps our guests would get to experience a thunderstorm before they left, but they missed that one. Maybe it was just as well, since they had all of that driving to do.

2 comments:

Oz said...

BTW, I think that we need to have a risk party.

I'd invite you here, but somehow I think maybe us bringing food down (so you don't have to pay to cover us) there would be a tad bit easier.

Maybe early January.

Jackie said...

Risk? Did you say RISK?! YES!!!

Somehow, having you all here is much better for all of us. Keva has her place to hang out, Kody isn't stuck in the crate, and we don't have to worry about overstaying our welcome!