Monday, September 15, 2008

Kylie has leaves on her head

I get the biggest kick out of conversations with my kids.

I was making dinner the other night, and Kylie came up to the bar for a chat.

"Mom, am I too young to get married?"

"Um, yes, Kylie. You're too young to get married. You need to be done with school. Your husband needs to be ready to support you so that you have a place to live. And most importantly, remember that your husband has to love God with all of his heart."

"Uh-huh," she replies congenially, having heard all of this many times before. "Does the boy have to ask the dad for permission to marry? Can he ask the mom?"

"The boy asks the dad, which is like asking the mom and the dad together."

"Does the girl ever propose to the boy?"

"No. The boy always asks the girl, but usually they've talked about it and they've both agreed that marriage is something they want to do."

Kylie ruminated over this for a while, then apparently felt safe to confide something to me, "A boy likes me at school, but we're too young to get married."

"Oh, well, how do you know he likes you?"

"He put leaves on my head and he's always teasing me, the way boys do to girls when they like them."

"And did you tell him that you're not going to be dating any boys for a very long time?"

"I don't know if he for sure likes me, but don't worry, Mom, I'm not getting married right away."

"That's good, Kylie."

And off she went to her next order of business. How did she get to be 10 already?

No comments: