I got "tagged" at my blog
Eight things about me:
1) I love memes where I get to wax eloquently about myself. I've discovered that I must be maybe just a little egocentric . . . a little . . . um . . . yeah.
2) I love babies. Whenever I see one at the grocery store, at the park, or wherever, I gravitate to the little one and get them to smile at me. I can ALWAYS get them to smile at me. If you have to travel with a small child in an airplane, you want me sitting next to you! My favorite part of a baby is that cute crease of skin between chubby hand and chubby arm that's supposed to be their wrist. Adorable!
3) I LOVE teenagers. I think that I love teenagers more than babies, because even though I have seven kids, I was never much for the baby/toddler stages. It's a lot of work and babies are fun when you don't have to change their diaper or give them a bath or get up in the middle of the night to feed them. I was constantly warned as the kids were/are growing up, "Just wait until they become (gasp!) teenagers!" But I do love talking with my teenagers. I love discussing tough subjects -- politics, abortion, euthanasia, cults -- whatever comes into our lives -- I love to see the lights come on as they learn to measure the world.
4) I'm a loner. I prefer to go out and do things by myself. I married an extrovert and that alone has helped me find a little balance -- that and having seven kids. It's very hard to be a loner with seven kids. Anyway, one of my favorite things to do is to go out all by myself for dinner and a movie. Maybe this has a little bit to do with #1?!? Also I could read books all day long and be perfectly happy. Keith was not especially pleased when I brought a couple of books along on our honeymoon!
5) Two parts of my psyche are in constant war with each other: laziness and perfectionism. I am the world's champion procrastinator, because I would rather sit and read a book, write, watch TV (sometimes all at the same time) than do things that I'm supposed to be doing.
6) Throw in some intense competitive spirit. I LOVE to win. Some of my worst marital strife has been from my temper flaring when I lost a game. I love family games of Risk, Monopoly, Yahtzee, Boggle. If it's competitive, I'm in! And I'm getting to be a better sport. Really! Especially when I win -- after I wipe off my smug expression of exultation.
7) Unfortunately, I've also got a temper -- which is often related to LOSING. Or when kids are misbehaving. It is something I constantly have to work on. I can be patient (at least on the outside) for hours and hours, days and days, weeks and weeks, but inside something may be brewing and waiting for just that moment when I explode! Then watch out! And it's always with the kids, hardly ever with friends. I can't tell you how many people have said to me, "But, Jackie, you're so patient!" And I always say, "If you think I'm patient, then just ask my kids." Sigh. It's all a facade!
7) Someday, when the kids are grown, I want to further my education in psychology. I would love to be a counselor. They say that most psychologists and psychiatrists enter their field because they need help themselves. Hmmmm.
8) Turning 40 was emotionally scarring. I didn't think I'd ever get THAT old. I had a much easier time turning 41, though.
I'd love to hear eight things about YOU! If you have a blog, and you're reading this, consider yourself "tagged". If you don't have a blog, leave me a comment about your eight things. I'd love to hear from you.
Happy Pumpkin Pie Day
1 day ago