Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Cute kids

Each kid can be so different. Keri Lynn has her birthday party invitations all ready to be sent out. She has planned everything out to the minute. She wants a beautiful dress to wear for her sweet sixteen party. She wants her friends to dress up, too. They're all going to go see Pirates 3 in their finery. It will be a lot of fun.

Then there's Kristofer.

At the table this morning while we were having Bible time, Kristofer was writing the date, "Is it MAY already?!?"


I finally did what Keith has wanted me to do for years now. I delegated laundry. It wasn't so much that I didn't want to do it, but I didn't know how to do it and still have the laundry end up looking okay. It finally occurred to me that it didn't have to look okay. It just needed to be clean and not my responsibility. So currently, Keri Lynn does her laundry on Tuesday afternoons, Kathleen and Kylie team up to do their laundry on Thursdays, and Kristofer does his on Fridays. So far, so good. I'm actually caught up on the rest of the kids' laundry at this moment. I'm behind with Keith's, though. He was asking in rather a pathetic whimper late last night if he had ANY underwear. Any clean underwear at all?

Another major breakthrough has been pushing the bed-wetters to stop bed-wetting. One of the major motivations was the cost of getting diapers for the three bed-wetters: Kylie, Kade and Konner. As it turns out, Kylie just needed a push in that area, where she was forced to stay dry or be wet through the night. She was embarrassed going to sleepovers and to camp last year, and now she's super excited about being able to go for sleepovers without a diaper! Yippee! I'm excited, too! Kade stays dry most nights and Konner is dry some nights, so that means I still have to wash sheets and comforters, but I think they are both improving. We're working on the basics, like not drinking anything before bed, and keeping their beds comfortable for a good night's rest.

Kody has also had some change. We used to put him in his crate for the night to make sure he didn't have any accidents. Dogs do not poop or pee in the place that they sleep. We have rejoiced in the wonders of The Crate! But lately, because his hip is so bad, he was having a terrible time getting up from whatever comfy spot in the family room he'd found himself and dragging himself off to the crate when we turned off lights and went to bed. So, we started leaving him out. So far, no accidents at all. In fact, he hasn't pooped or peed in the house in months. He does have the occasional vomiting, because he likes to chew anything he can get his canines on, especially flavorful paper towels. Kody LOVES paper towels! Paper towels do not like Kody.

I wonder if I will ever get used to the fact that family means constant change and adjustment. Nothing ever is stagnant. Just when I think I've got the whole mother thing down, something happens, and I've got to figure it all out all over again.

In a few short days, my very favorite day of the year is coming. Mother's Day! Can't wait. It's better than Christmas! Since we've been cutting back on expenses, I didn't give my usual Mother's Day message to the masses: "JEWELRY". Instead, I'll settle for being Queen of the Day.

Kathleen wanted to know what I wanted for breakfast in bed, so I decided to lay all my cards out. I let her know gently that I really don't like breakfast in bed. I'd rather have it at the table, if that's all right with everyone. Eggs and toast would be just great, thank you.

"Okay, but you need to sleep in, until about 8:30, then you can get ready for church."
I smiled.

"We'll make sure Keva is dressed. We'll take care of everything. But don't expect that we'll clean the house or anything like that."

I smiled again.

I've got cute kids.

2 comments:

Pen of Jen said...

I found your blog through the next blog on the top of the blog.
I love the delegation of Laundry.
Laundry is my nightmare, and I am going to use your idea!
I am a home school mom too and I have a home school blog and my thoughts blog! mcbenningschool.blogspot.com

I hope you don't mind, but I am going to stay a while and read some more fun stuff.

Jackie said...

Are you kidding?!? I love visitors, especially ones that comment. Thanks!