Thursday, February 08, 2007

Honduran Tragedy

I opened up the local paper yesterday morning and discovered some tragic news. Our church is one of many involved in a yearly mission trip to Honduras. About half of the team made up this year's group that left on Sunday. On Tuesday, while in route to a mission project, the team was involved in an auto accident that killed two men and a woman. They were riding in the back of a commando-style truck, sitting in the back, when the truck breaks failed and the truck overturned and fell down a 80-foot ravine. The men were from a nearby church in Carrolton and the woman lived right here in Newnan. She was a beloved part of a Methodist church here. About 10 others were injured as well, four that I know personally from church. The ones from our church were not seriously injured, as far as we know, but everyone is reeling from the shock. The driver, also from our county, is being held in jail because of the fatalities.

It just goes to show me ONCE AGAIN that God knows our years on this earth and will take us when He deems fit. In the meantime, we sure do need to be ready for it! Please be praying for the families who are mourning loved ones and thanking God for keeping the rest here. One of the injured is Mr. Mike (Mike Emmeot), the missions pastor, and beloved by Kade. Kade is always saying how Mr. Mike said this and Mr. Mike said that. Another was the husband of our children's director. And then two more are sons of the lady that I drove with to the women's retreat last September. One broke an arm and each broke their collarbone.

I remember in my mind's eye the many rough dirt roads of Honduras. The road this team was on was near San Jose. I need to look that up on a map, but I know I've been in San Jose before, but when I was eight (and quite frankly for a LONG time after) I never knew where I was on a map!

Anyway, please be praying for these dear people and for the Newnan community. My hope is that people will trust in the Lord more through this difficult time.

No comments: