Friday, February 16, 2007

Amidst the Rubble

A balmy 22 degrees this morning as I type this. We even had a few snow flurries for Valentine's Day. As a result of all the cold, I've not been walking as much -- only two times this whole week. I did brave a walk yesterday and came home an ice cube. Keith had just pulled in from work, but I was afraid that if I kissed him, I'd stick to him. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad . . .
I found this on my pillow on Valentine's evening. There was a sweet pink heart made out of clay stuck to a notebook paper homemade card. (Spelling was corrected!)

To My Mom: Be my Mom-entine. This little heart isn't how much I love you, but it's a gift. I love you 10 thousand times more. You are my heart and I love you! Thanks for being my Mom.

Yours Truly,
Kathleen

Those are the gifts that far outweigh any drudgery of parenthood. Thanks, Kathleen. I love you 10 thousand times more back!

I think I'm going to have to take Keri Lynn to the doctor today. She just isn't getting any better and this morning she woke up with her chest hurting. Her cold might have turned into bronchitis. Kylie is complaining that her ear hurts, too. She was one of the first kids I took to the doctor when we started this Carousel of Colds. I really want to get off!

I haven't been doing much of anything anywhere lately. I got sucked into a book and then went straight into a crochet project. Dishes? Who needs clean dishes! Laundry? You can wear your underwear for more than two or three days in a row! Take the dog out? Yes! Now! But not me, I'm busy!

I highly recommend any books by Francine Rivers. I'm waiting for the library to produce a few overdue copies of her Mark of the Lion series. In the meantime, I read The Atonement Child, also by Francine Rivers. If you need to brush up on arguments against abortion and need help understanding the pain involved in this ongoing issue, this is the book to read. I turned the last page and then handed it right over to Keri Lynn who has been reading it non-stop ever since. Like mother, like daughter.

Then, last night, amidst the rubble that used to be my house, I started working on an afghan for Joy's baby. She's the girlfriend that I went out to lunch with a few weeks ago. Our Bible study group is throwing a surprise baby shower for her in less than two weeks. So I decided last weekend to try to crochet a sweet baby blanket for her by then. I'm hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew and that it won't be one of those gifts that I've given in a gift bag with the yarn still hanging off of it -- only to snatch it back to take home to finish! But it sure is fun to crochet baby things! I've missed that! All of my other friends have had their babies and moved on to teen years, so it was such fun to pick out Baby Soft yarn in pink and lime green (her baby's colors) and find an adorable pattern. I'm hoping to make a cute little hat to go with the blanket -- but will probably not have that ready until the baby is actually born.

No comments: