Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Grocery Mascot

I went to the grocery store yesterday. It was desperation. I've been needing to go for about three or four days. We were out of milk, fruit, candy and most items needed to create a meal. So, I hit the store running, waded through the flower/candy area where the whole world decided to come and get Valentine paraphernalia, and got to the check-out with two very full grocery carts.

This time, with my diet in mind, and with a lot of wise counsel from friends and family, my grocery cart had some stuff in in that I usually don't bother with. Yogurt and granola bars mainly. And chocolate chips (chocolate in smaller quantities). And some extra produce.

I came up to the checker as she was scanning my stuff and said, "Are you excited to see me?"

"Of course!" she said.

And the bagger said, with a grin, that he thought they were running out of bags.

I needed two baggers to help cart out what turned out to be three carts to the van. By the time I was done, I felt like the grocery store mascot. Cute, lovable, pointed at and exclaimed over.
Then, came the fun part. Taking everything out of the car and putting it away. This isn't nearly as difficult as it used to be. Kids are older now and can actually HELP. I also have more space to put things away. Konner held a package of top ramen and said, "Oh, this goes in the Pop Tart door!" Keri Lynn poured bagged cereals into containers. Kylie thoroughly organized the canned goods. Poor Kathleen sat on the couch playing out her sickie status. Kody thought the world was so wonderful because his favorite person (me!) had brought him a doggie treat.

The only problem with kids helping is that sometimes one finds feminine products in Keva's room next to the diapers -- I guess that's close! Or a can in the refrigerator because someone likes canned fruit cold. But one always finds the snack treats especially categorized and put away right where they need to be.

I was worried that the kids might be disappointed that I didn't buy any candy for their snacks this time, but I was wrong. They were thrilled with the granola bars, yogurt and fruit snacks. Kristofer especially is my health nut. He patted me on the back and told me I'd done a good job, "We need to eat healthier around here!"

Now, I've got to go eat some breakfast and get my hair to look like I didn't just wake up. Bible study is this morning -- can't wait! We're finishing up Revelation 11 -- one of the hardest chapters in the Bible -- but so richly symbolic and so powerful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of your best! : )

Kaja