Thursday, September 14, 2006

Sweet Konner

I just got back with Kody after his fun little expedition to the mobile vet. He was neutered, given a shot for rabies, and checked for heart-worm. Thankfully, he doesn't have heart worm, so can begin monthly treatment. I also got antibiotics for him to stem any infection from the surgery. He was nice and quiet on the way home and is now camped out in our guest bathroom off the family room whimpering over the doggy gate. I think he's really hungry and thirsty, but he can't have anything until evening.

The guest bathroom might very well be his "dog house" for awhile. I'm going to try to house train him so that he can hang around with the family in the community living area while we do school, cook, etc. Other times, he'll be going for walks, playing outside off of the tether. He was just spending too much time in the basement all by himself, and never such a sad sight did you see whenever he was left there.

Keith and I went around and around with keeping Kody up in the house because Keith had wanted an outside dog. I've always wanted an inside dog that can go play and frolic outside, but sleep and "hang out" inside. So, since I'm the one who will be the primary caregiver for the dog and since we don't have our fence up yet, I'm getting to have Kody inside. We'll see how it goes. He's already a challenge because he nips too much and is not house broken. However, I've been reading some really good books and getting a good idea about how to handle it. Kody also seems to mind me pretty well and follows me wherever I go. I'm worried about the nipping around the little kids, but hopefully it will be curtailed now that the testosterone is no longer an issue and also I'll be right there to watch his behavior.

Keva's not sure she likes Kody much. She petted him originally, but whenever he'd approach her, she'd push him away. So, of course, that means that he's interested in the kid that's not bothering him.

Yesterday, I had a sweet time with Konner. It was one of those afternoons that I wish to remember because I know just how fast he's growing up. A neighbor had called asking if I could go pick up a prescription for her downtown, and Konner decided that he'd come with me. He's never been a big talker because Kade does all the talking for him, but when he's on his own, he talks a mile a minute. All the way back and forth from the pharmacy, it was one question after another. And whatever he'd say, he'd automatically repeat it three or four times, and I'd wince inwardly because I'd realize that he has to regularly repeat himself to be heard. In between questions, he'd make special sound affects for my amusement. Then, as we walked into the pharmacy, I took his hand and he let me keep that precious independent little hand back and forth to the car. It was just one of those times that I appreciated being with my son, my baby boy, already FIVE years old.

The same neighbor, Kathy, who I went to go get the prescription for asked me to get the word out to pray for her brother-in-law Gene. Kathy's husband is Gene's brother, and might have to be a bone marrow donor. Kathy and her family have been under intense health-related stress. Kathy has a rare disorder that did not allow her cerebellum to grow properly, so as a result, she has severe symptoms that sounded like MS. She doesn't have MS, but she will need surgery to release pressure off of her brain and move the bone down to allow that part of her brain to grow better. It's scary and she's been shuffled from one doctor to another. Meanwhile, her son has had some orthopedic issues and now there's this deal with her brother-in-law. Please remember to pray for this family.

No comments: