Monday, September 11, 2006

9-11

This is a busy day today with a somber feel to it as we all remember Sept. 11. Five years ago, I was in the living room at our Harvard house in L.A. getting Kathleen ready for a special birthday trip to Disneyland with Mom. Mom called me and said, "Turn on the TV!" And that's where we all stood riveted for hours watching the horrors unfold. It's hard to believe that Kathleen was only five, Konner only a baby, Keri Lynn only 10! The years do fly and the times do change!

This morning, in the freedom of living in the U.S., I went to the grocery store and had my pick of thousands of products. I ate a quick Sausage McGriddle (I love those things) on the way home. In a few minutes, we'll all gather around the table and have prayer and read the Bible -- all completely legal and open! The kids will then return to their studies; they'll read and write in freedom. All the while, our flag will continue to wave in front of our house. God bless the USA!

This afternoon, I'll be taking Keva to get her eyes checked -- I've put this off for YEARS! I've been working steadily this last month or so to get Keva caught up on all of her various health issues. She's supposed to have another hearing test coming up and then we'll work on her cardiology check up. I had to postpone her visit last week when it turns out that we were going to have to pay some $600 out of pocket up front since she's supposed to have an EKG and echo-cardiogram. Hmm. We'll have to save up for that visit!

Meanwhile, while the kids get their own lunch together, I need to stop by the doctor's office and get him to sign yet another form for Keva's Special Olympics participation with her school. She's also going to go horseback riding, swimming and bowling over the course of the year! Doesn't that sound like fun! Her teacher and aides take her class all around school for daily walks, so she's getting a lot of good exercise.

Kylie just came up from the basement, crying, as Kody bit her on the head. I'm sure it was one of his nips or she'd be bleeding, but it did hurt. He is pretty aggressive with the little kids. When he's with bigger ones, we can get him to behave. He's still learning and has a lot of puppy in him still.

On Thursday morning, I'll be taking him to get neutered and get treated for heart-worm. There's a inexpensive mobile vet that comes through, stopping at the animal shelter. She answered a bunch of my novice questions.

Last Wednesday, I went to my first morning Women's Bible study group. It was so fun and felt like I was HOME! I had been attending an evening study last year, but (as is the case with most evening studies) there was no time to socialize or even pray together. The Wednesday group meets from 9:30 to 11:30 and is set up similarly to the one I attended at JOF, with the exception that the leader does a lecture first instead of having singing or devotional time. the lecture is put on video and broadcasted on the local channel here in Newnan. Then, we break up into our small group and go over homework questions. We are studying Revelation, and I'm so excited about it! I love studying prophecy! It's also kind of nice, I must admit, not to be the one leading the small group. I'm the oldest in the group (gasp -- feeling decrepit right now) and I've studied Revelation before, and I keep worrying that I'm coming across kind of know-it-all-ish. I don't want to be a quiet little sheep but I don't want to take over discussion either. The leader asked what each of us was looking for in the class, and I said that I'm praying that I won't try to fit Revelation into my own theology but that I would truly understand what His word has to say.

One more note about my Bible study leader. I'm so excited to have Joy as my leader. She was children''s director when we first came to First Baptist. She set up people to watch Keva during Sunday school and on Wednesday nights, and was very involved in helping us feel welcome. She has since retired to be able to stay at home full-time with her little boy and is now expecting a second baby! If I had had my choice, I would have picked Joy as my Bible study leader because I wanted to get to know her better.

As for my own Bible study that I had hoped to lead here in our neighborhood, that is still in the making. I've been talking with several women in the neighborhood, but I need a few things to settle down a little bit before staring something like that -- particularly Keith's work schedule.

Keith started a later shift today. He doesn't wake up until 8:00 AM, but he won't be getting back home until nearly 2:00 AM. Last week, with only four work days, it was a little easier to get through. He's not doing nearly as much physical work as he was doing before and he's getting to know more of what's expected of him. We continue to be thankful for this extra bit of income and we all really enjoy the weekend!

So much for keeping it short!

No comments: