Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Procrastination Woes

I've been having serious procrastination issues. They usually involve the telephone. I've never been much of a telephone user. I hate to initiate calls. I enjoy receiving calls, but making the calls are not my cup of tea. I avidly avoid any phone chains. If I have to pay a bill, I prefer to mail it or pay on-line. I don't like to place orders by phone. I dislike setting up appointments by phone. I'm not sure why I'm so phobic about phones except that maybe I don't think quickly on my feet. I prefer writing, when I can think more fully about questions and answers. That's why I'm such an email junkie!

Anyway, all that to say that I made an appointment on Friday for Keri Lynn to go to an orthodontist appointment on Tuesday. This is when she travels to California on her own, sees a family member or two and heads back home with her teeth a little straighter.

When did I attempt to make arrangements for who would pick her up from the airport and take her to the orthodontist and return her to the airport? Monday evening. Why did I wait until Monday evening? I put it off. Didn't want to get on the phone. Then I get so aggravated at myself and so embarrassed. It's like I set myself up for failure on the phone. I've heard myself say countless times to countless hapless relatives and friends, "I'm so sorry to be asking last minute, but . . ." This issue is easily one of the top five things that I dislike about myself.

Of course, I couldn't make arrangements this time for Keri Lynn, so I moved her appointment to Thursday when Stan, Keith's Dad, can get her around to where she needs to go. Thanks, Stan . . . AGAIN!

Anyway, while I'm typing, there's a crew of guys in our backyard nailing our fence up! It looks really nice. They were supposed to come on Saturday to finish the job, but I guess it worked out for them to come today. The nails that Keith had purchased for the job turned out to be just a little too long, so a guy went to pick up smaller nails and they all went to work. It's very physical work and I can't imagine Keith working on that job all by himself. It would have taken him days and days just to do what they've done in a few hours. It follows the whole length of the curb along our property and then curves in at the back of the property for about ten feet.

I had to get the steam cleaner out AGAIN this morning when Kody peed in the family room this time. However, I can't really blame him. Keri Lynn got up before me this morning, and found that he'd thrown up in his crate. So while she cleaned that up, he wandered around trying to hold it all in and she didn't think to FIRST take him out! He upchucks occasionally because he's constantly eating grass and whatever else he can get his teeth on. Kristofer and Kathleen have been taking him for evening runs on their scooters. He pulls Kathleen along. They are such a sight. They go FAST, and Kody is as happy a dog as you'd ever see, tongue lolling, bouncing more than running.

Yesterday, since I had the steam cleaner out anyway, I brought it upstairs to work on the boys' room and to help them get it back under control again. They've got the big bonus room that looks like a barn. Kristofer's space is always nice and neat but he'd given up on the little boys' section. It had gotten to be a huge mess. The boys all worked with me for several hours, picking up toys, filling up two bags of trash, stuffing two laundry hampers and sorting army men, Legos, Bionicles -- It was a disgusting war zone. I vacuumed and steam cleaned and today I've been trying to get caught up once more with all of the extra laundry.

Ever since their room has been cleaned up, they've been playing upstairs and enjoying their space again. Kylie told me that she wants to sleep upstairs, too, but I told her that she needs to sleep in her own room!

Back to school!

No comments: