Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Konner's Disclocated Middle Toe

Whew! I'm glad it's today and not yesterday.

Yesterday, I got up at 5:15 (having gone to bed after midnight -- I'm such an idiot!) and took Keri Lynn to the airport for her ortho visit to California. When I got home, I got Keva ready for school, prepared Keith's lunch, sent Keith on his way to work, made sure all kids were properly fed and Kody taken out to do his business before announcing:

"MOMMY IS GOING TO TAKE A NAP! NO ONE BOTHER ME UNLESS THERE IS BLOOD!"

About 90 minutes into a semi-good nap, I heard Konner screaming a high pitched "this really hurts!" cry. So up I dragged myself out of bed where Konner was waiting for me at my bedroom door. Kristofer was supporting him and I looked down at his left foot middle toe that looked oddly askew.

"Ewwww!" was my first reply. I had a momentary impulse to just kind of shove the little piggy right back into its socket, but was not sure if it was merely dislocated or possibly broken. So, I ordered Kristofer to take him back to the couch while I made the necessary calls.

First we went to the pediatrician who then referred us for X-rays and an orthopedic doctor. Konner's toe had been injured at about 10:45, but by the time we finally got to see the orthopedist, it was nearly 3:00. He took one look at the toe and said, "Oh yeah, that's dislocated. Has he had anything to eat lately?"

"Ah, no . . . "

"Can't give him general anesthesia then. How does he feel about shots?"

"Well, he's pretty stoic, really. He'll do fine."

And he did. I sat next to Konner while he got a numbing shot in his foot. That was the worst part. Then the doctor just snapped the toe back into place in about THREE SECONDS, and then we got another X-ray to make sure all was right with the world, and we were free to go home.

Konner is supposed to be sure to wear shoes for the next two weeks and keep the toe strapped to another toe for support. Hmmm. So far, not so good. He's my nature boy. Even clothes are a real bother, and shoes more so. He's a tough little guy, though. Hardly complained through the whole ordeal. Laughed at the doctor's jokes. Took the teasing by the security guard, nurses and doctors all in stride.

How does one dislocate a middle toe anyway? I'm really wondering. Konner ran into Kylie in the hallway and that's how it happened for him. But still -- HOW?!? She must have stepped on JUST that toe and Konner twisted away just so. Ewwww!

Anyway, we'll be getting Keri Lynn from the airport tonight after Wednesday night supper at church and all-church Christmas caroling. I sent Keri Lynn off with all of the California Christmas presents and she's coming back with Christmas presents for us! Fun! We've been getting packages in the mail, too.

I need to get going on my Christmas letter, but I feel like it's just going to be re-run stuff for most people because of the group e-mail and blog! I do feel like it's an opportunity to get the word out that I do have a blog going now, especially since I figured out how to link video from VideoTube! Ha! I'm so pleased with myself about that.

2 comments:

Oz said...

About once every three months, I'll be walking through the house in sock feet and cream THE SAME TOE on a chair leg or door frame and it's not my big toe.

It's always the "ring" toe on my left or right foot, but always the ring toe.

Jackie said...

Is that toe longer than the other toes? How can you possibly hurt THAT toe?