Monday, December 18, 2006

They're running amuck!

The kids are being allowed to run amuck today, as I try to figure out where I misplaced any sense of discipline. We are supposed to have two more days of school before vacation officially starts. Um. Maybe we'll "unofficially" start today. Shhhhh.

Yesterday, we had Kade's birthday party. There were about six neighbor kids, plus Kade's own brothers and sisters, a sister's friend, and two neighbors' little sisters with their moms. I ran a bunch of games in the backyard, followed by a bunch of games in the living room, before we had birthday cake and sent all of the guests home in a sugar-induced coma. I think everyone had a nice time, and now I've got to figure out when to take Kade to go spend his birthday money that is burning a hole in his britches -- The kid is loaded with $24, and he's got BIG plans.

Saturday was clean-up for party day, a trip to get a Christmas tree, Keith put up lights outside the house, followed by an evening wedding over at our church.

The wedding was SO ELEGANT! Absolutely beautiful. I take back EVERYTHING I said about the insanity of having a wedding at Christmas. Beautiful music, candles everywhere, the bride (from my Bible study group) was gorgeous, the groom looked like he was about 17 (but in love, nevertheless!) Eight bridesmaids and eight groomsmen. I kept thinking about my own kids a few short years from now. I've always told them, "You'll be able to recognize me right away. I'll be the mom bawling in the front row!"

One of the pieces played at the wedding was Claire de Lune which was the theme music for Kiera Knightly's version of Pride and Prejudice. So beautiful (have I said that already?) and romantic. I think I'm going to try to get ahold of that music.

Speaking of music, I highly recommend anything by the Annie Moses Band. You can get it through Amazon. They are incredible. They came to our church last month and played some of their Christmas selections. Six siblings plus parents and about three others that do bass, drums and sound. Lots and lots of talent. Anyway, we have their Christmas CD Bethlehem, House of Bread. It is a joy to listen to. It features violin. Annie Moses, the lead vocal, sounds like a cross between Twila Paris and Evie. Listening to the Bethlehem CD will probably become a Christmas tradition.

No comments: