Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Pork & Beans Revisited

Yesterday, after pouring over maps, going to Mapquest and reviewing who I was going to vote for, I made my way to the Voting Poles. California Primary: Drive car two blocks away, say hi to our neighbor Mrs. Collins who is always volunteers to help with voting, vote in the one Republican stall, get my "I voted today" sticker, and skedaddle back home. Georgia Primary: Drive through winding tree-lined roads, over a bridge and to a fire station FIVE MILES AWAY, fill out a form promising that I'll not vote anywhere else that day, and then step around the corner to find electronic screens instead of the usual punch card ballots. I stood agog, while a guy handed me a card to stick into the machine. I voted by touch screen! In the middle of nowhere in the back roads of Georgia. Who'd of thunk!

Having proudly voted and wearing my "I voted" sticker, I headed back home to find that children were beginning not to feel so good. Oh-oh. I had given the youngest ones -- Keva, Kade and Konner a can of pork & beans at lunch which, as it turns out, came back to haunt us all in a big way . . .

Keva, Kade, Konner and Keri Lynn all heaved up their stomach contents through the early evening and into the wee hours of the morning. This was so much fun, I have to say. Thankfully, the kids are old enough these days that they can make it to a bucket or the toilet in the nick of time. With Keva, I'm not usually so lucky. But last night, she was laying across a blanket on the floor while we all were watching TV and upchucked right onto the blanket -- the whole thing! I said to everyone, "Now, wasn't that nice of Keva to throw up on the blanket!" And we all agreed!

I spent most of the night reading a book/watching TV and alternately cleaning out a wastebasket or toilet and throwing any yucky laundry into the laundry room. Konner, I thought, was the last to settle down at about 2:00 AM. But, as it turns out, Keri Lynn was sick until nearly 5:00 AM, but was able to take care of herself.

Keith literally stumbled in from his first day at his second job at about 1:00 AM. He looked like death warmed over and muttered something about reality coming to roost then stumbled off to take a much needed shower. His clothes were filthy from what has turned out to be a highly manual job. He left a message with me earlier today with the warehouse number and sounded much more his chipper self, but I am worried that this will end up being too much for him. We'll see!

By the time I crawled out of bed this morning, everyone was feeling better. Keri Lynn was still pretty tired and decided not to join us on or trip to visit Kathleen and Kylie at camp. I left Keva with her and took the boys in a sweltering van to Camp Rockridge where the kids were having their week of camp. I only had to make one U-turn, which is pretty good for me, and we made it in time to have lunch with Kathleen instead of Kylie. But we got to see them both after lunch and visit their cabin bunks. Even Kathleen was happy to see us and proud to give us a little tour of a very pretty camp ground. There's a lake, pool, cabins, conference area. One of the girls had put on a bathing suite earlier and got stung by a scorpion three times, so that was the talk of the camp when we came. She had to be sent home to recuperate but will probably come back later in the week.

Kylie wanted us to come and see her swim. She discovered that she does not sink to the bottom and doesn't have to thrash around in a panic. As a result, she was swimming around like a fish and really enjoying the water. Kathleen went off the diving board a couple of times while we were there, too.

I was relieved to find out that neither girl had gotten sick at camp. After last night, I had visions of every single one of the 111 campers from or church throwing up all over each other. Kylie informed me that she wasn't homesick a bit. This was good because nearly all of the other second graders were kind of having a hard time being away from home. I think it helped Kylie to have an older sister nearby. Next year, it will be Kathleen (at the top of the Camp Sonshine heap), Kylie and Kade! He can't wait. Konner can't either, but two years to a five-year-old must seem like an eternity. Oh, the trials of being the youngest! Keri Lynn and Kristofer might go as counselors next year, too, so that would make it even sadder for Konner!

It is very hot right now -- about 99 degrees. Driving in the car today reminded me of the many summer drives from Kennesaw to Newnan. We were all sticky and hot and thirsty by the time we arrived, and I began wondering (not for the first time) if maybe we'd be able to afford car payments for a newer van with air conditioning! Maybe next year. We're planning on driving this van into the ground, if it doesn't get towed away for not having a Georgia license, that is. (Still haven't gotten that settled! Argh!)

Keri Lynn and Kristofer are off to Stone Mountain tonight with their youth group to go see the laser Light Show. Keri Lynn almost didn't go because she was still feeling peaked, but with a little rest today she was feeling better. It will be nice for them to go out, but I forgot to remind them to pack bug spray! After we dropped them off, I took Keva, Kade and Konner through the McDonald's drive-thru for dinner. It sure is a lot cheaper to buy McDonald's with three kids than it is with seven!

Time to go get everyone to drink more water!

No comments: