Tuesday, November 04, 2008

How my voting went

I ran out the door at a quarter to 10:00 this morning, a bag strapped to my shoulder full of things to do while waiting in line. As I drove closer to the fire station that is my polling place, I saw cars lined up at least a half mile down the road.

"Uh-oh," I said to myself, "Maybe my master plan of voting on Election Day while most everyone else voted early did not work!"

Still, I drove bravely on, right on up to the fire station parking lot where THREE parking spaces were available! Whoo-hoo! I then got in line at exactly 10:00 am, pulled out a book and read until a friend from church joined me and we chatted the entire hour it took to get to the voting booths.

The line was like a line at Disneyland. Just when you think you're nearly there, relieved to be INSIDE the building, you discover that there are still hundreds of people in front of you winding this way and that through out a huge warehouse of space. But the line moved quickly and I waved to at least eight people I knew. I even got to apologize to a neighbor ahead of me in line who had left a message last week on my answering machine to find out if Keri Lynn could babysit. I had not gotten around to calling her back. Sorry Sandy! At least I was able to make amends!

I finally got to the voting booth, voted straight down the Republican ticket and voted against all proposals that would raise taxes, and got my "I'm a Georgia voter" peach sticker. I was done at 11:07. One hour and seven minutes. Not bad.

Civic duty done. Now all that remains is to await the outcome.

I think I'll be doing a lot of nervous crocheting tonight while watching polling results.

Keith will be voting after work. He gets home at about 4:30 or 5:00 and will probably have a two or three hour wait. It will be interesting to see what happens for him. Hope he finds a buddy to talk with while waiting. Makes the time go by faster.

1 comment:

Qtpies7 said...

I think it only took me about 7 minutes to get in and out of voting. Small town joys!
I think it took Donnie more like 20 minutes this morning, fighting the before work crowds.

I'm not enjoying the election coverage.