Friday, April 29, 2005

Konner's stitches

Life as the seventh child must be very interesting. Kathleen's teeth met the top of Konner's head yesterday. Konner's head lost even though Kathleen was initially in the most pain. His head wasn't even bleeding for awhile, and when it bled, it wasn't much -- unusual for head wounds.

Keri Lynn was holding him and comforting him while I held Kathleen. Then I noticed the blood at the top of his head and had him come over to me so that I could make sure he was okay.

Much to my surprise, I saw that his skin was split about 1/8 inch, just enough to need one or two stitches. Urgh! It was, of course, after office hours. Stitches are ALWAYS after hours! I was able to at least get a hold of Dr. Curtis before she went home. She told me that I couldn't wait until tomorrow to bring him in. Stitches are needed within 12 hours. (And I was thinking to myself, "Well, if I go to emergency, that's exactly how long it will take to get the dang stitches!)

A few hours later at an urgent care facility, the doctor was examining him and said it just looked like a scratch. I'm sure he thought he had another obsessive mother bear on his hand, but little did he know my blase attitude. When I looked at it in his office, it DID look just like a scrape! Had I been mistaken? Had it looked worse than it really had been? Is that why it hadn't bled much?

As it turned out, the doctor needed to clean the wound out and saw that Konner did indeed need one or two stitches -- just enough to make it worth our effort to go to urgent care and pay our $50 co-pay!

My kids are all quite stoic when it comes to stitches. They are quiet martyrs. Konner was no exception. The doctor probably could have stitched him up without the shot to numb him. The only time Konner looked a little scared was when the doctor prepared the shot. His eyes got very big. The doctor said he was the best patient of the day and that he did a better job than most adults do!

Since it was a tooth that caused the injury, Konner is also to take antibiotics to stem any infection.

Kristofer, Keva and Kade are the only ones to be stitch free in our family. It's a miracle that Kristofer hasn't, because he is so physical. He's had not stitches or broken bones. That may change once we have the great outdoors of Georgia.

No comments: